Monday, February 14, 2011

1931 kidnapping continued

Hackett was driving to the club and on the way a car containing three men passed and they waved at him. Later he passed this car and did not recognize any of the occupants but thought they were casual acquaintances. This car followed him into the club grounds.
While he was parking his car in a stall a man came to the side of the car and pointed a gun at him and said “Don’t move or make any noise or I’ll kill you as sure as there is a God above. You’re going for a ride.”
"I looked to the other side and there was another man there with a gun pointed at me,” said Hackett yesterday in relating his experience. "Then I looked behind and there were men in a car behind with a machine gun and sawedoff shotguns. I knew it was useless to resist. The first fellow told me to move over and keep quiet and he climbed into the car and  I moved over to the other seat. He drove it out of the yard and down the road, the other car following.”

Blindfolded in Car.
"A mile or so down the road I was told to get in the kidnaper's car and lie on the floor. They wound gauze bandage all around my head so I couldn't see. I judge that I was driven fifteen or twenty miles before we stopped. One of the men was abusive, calling me vile names and threatening to bang me on the head with the butt of his gun, but I said there was no need of violence, that I would do what I was told.
"They took me into a house and on the way I heard the leader blaming the fellow who had abused me. He told him that such treatment was unnecessary because I was a good fellow.
"Inside the house they had put handcuffs on me and told me to lie on the bed. Two men stayed in the room all the time. I heard a lot of their conversation and it convinced me they were old timers in the kidnapping business and that these gangs worked together all over the country, one gang helping another.